AROO! The Spartans are here!
You may have heard of the inaugural Spartan Races that will be held in Kuala Lumpur this October 2015, and in Singapore in November 2015. Never thought of joining a Spartan Race? Interested? Here are some facts to whet your appetite! (And read on to WIN a FREE entry to the Singapore Spartan Race, on us!)
What is the Reebok Spartan Race?
Definitely not your average race.
Expect not only to be running, climbing, and crawling across unknown terrain; you’ll also get to splash through mud (yay! be a child again!), tackle many unique and challenging obstacles, test your overall strength, balance, mental tenacity and endurance, and finish with a fiery (hint, hint) leap of victory!
What exactly am I getting myself into?
Here’s what Spartan Staff say: “Imagine a large area of outdoor terrain. It might be sandy or muddy. It could be a hilly meadow or a forest. It could be anything. Throw in a few hills here and there, and maybe a river or a lake sits in the middle of this. We’ll put a course that runs through and around the area. Then, we’ll put some obstacles in the way. Obstacles that will make you climb, crawl or carry yourself over, through and past them. If you fail one of these obstacles, you do 30 burpees and then you continue.”
Sounds like hell and I LOVE IT! However, my bones have been a little under the weathe–
No worries, people of all ages, shapes, sizes and walks of life have completed Spartan Races. You don’t have to run, you can walk. And yes, you have obstacles like walls, but, as the Spartan Staff tell us: “You may not be able to climb a wall on your own, but there will be many, many people that will be more than willing to help you. The Spartan community are well-known for being helpful and they don’t like seeing people struggle. Watch how quickly a helping hand extends your way. Don’t be surprised if you feel someone pushing up on the soles of your feet to boost you up!”
Woohoo! I can feel my adventurous self raring to go… so what are the race categories?
Here are the types of Reebok Spartan Races available:
- For beginners, the organisers recommend the SPRINT. Spartan’s shortest courses are 5+ kilometres and 15+ obstacles. Complete the race at your own pace. If you fail an obstacle along the way, you’ll need to do 30 burpees before continuing on.
- The SUPER is 13+ kilometres, 20+ obstacles, and often hosted on a tougher terrain.
- The hardest of the three races is the BEAST: 20+ kilometres and 25+ obstacles. The challenges of the course can only be left to one’s imagination!
- But of course the kids can join in the fun too! They can take part in SPARTAN JUNIOR races. These races, 400-800 metres in distance, have an emphasis on teamwork, fun and getting muddy.
Sounds like your cup of tea? Hold on to your mouse pointer… why not take part in our Singapore Spartan Race CONTEST?
We’ll be giving away a FREE Race Entry to the Singapore Spartan Sprint taking place on Sunday 15 November 2015, for the 1pm-2pm time slot! Here’s what you need to do:
(1) Like our Facebook page.
(2) Share our top post of a drawing that says “The Speedshuffle Blog Singapore Spartan Contest!” on your Facebook timeline.
(3) Leave a comment on our said Facebook post telling us why you’d like to win the free race entry to the Singapore Spartan Race!
The Contest ends on 28 August 2015, and the Contest Winner will be contacted by 29 August 2015.
Please note: By participating in the Speedshuffle Singapore Spartan Race Contest, you have agreed to abide fully to the following terms & conditions:
Contest Terms & Conditions:
- You have to be at least 18 years old as of 31 December 2014.
- This Contest ends on 28 August 2015.
- The winner of this contest (‘Contest Winner’) will be notified by 29 August 2015.
- The Contest Winner is only entitled to one free race entry for the Sprint Category of the Reebok Spartan Sprint Singapore to be held in Singapore on 15 November 2015, at the 1pm-2pm time slot. Kindly note that the Contest Winner should abide by the terms and conditions set out by the organisers for entry to the race; and Speedshuffle/LOTR/Living On The Run, and/or the blog’s authors, will not be held responsible for any inability by the Contest Winner to register for the Spartan Race Singapore for any reason.
- Any transportation or accommodation costs in relation to the Contest Winner’s participation in the Spartan Race Singapore shall be borne solely by the Contest Winner.
- Our decision(s) in respect of the Speedshuffle Singapore Spartan Race Contest shall be final and binding, and no correspondence will be entertained.
- Speedshuffle/LOTR/Living On The Run, and/or the blog’s authors, will not be held responsible for any losses incurred to, or injuries suffered by the Contest Winner during the race.
WAIT, we have more goodies!
This isn’t all! Stay tuned as our Resident Fitness Guy dishes out tips and tricks for runners, and our Resident Chef whips up quick nutrition-packed meals on the run, in a series of blog posts.
Find out more about Spartan Race Singapore on Spartan Race Singapore’s website.